First you must choose your character - Lar-Man, Coily Joe or Big Mo. Once the game has begun, push the joystick left and right to move forwards or backwards. Push the joystick down to duck. Press A, B or C to attack! The aim of the game is to keep hitting your opponent until their energy bar is reduced to zero, while avoiding their attacks. Best out of three rounds win!
A cheat is avaliable for Stooge Fighter 3, and cheat sheets are sold on the black market! Activated by pressing the buttons A, B, B, A, C, A, C, A (in order) on the screen where you choose your character, the cheat reveals a hidden button behind a secret panel in the centre of the console. This button invokes a super-attack, almost guaranteeing you a win.
The names of the three characters change when you play on the birthday of one of the programmers (April 11th, January 3rd and December 29th).
- Lar-Man becomes Shockmeister
- Coily Joe becomes Conradinator
- Big Mo becomes Flash Lytton
The characters in the game, Lar-Man, Big Mo and Coily Joe are references to The Three Stooges - Larry, Moe and Curly. Their catchphrases and fighting moves contain lots of references to the original.
- The title is a reference to Street Fighter 3
- Big Moe is dressed like Street Fighter character Ryu.
- The messages after each KO resemble those from Mortal Kombat II
- One of the characters can chop his opponent's head off, referencing the graphic deaths in MK2
- The "you lamebrain" part references how the opponent looks before you "FINISH HIM!" in MK2.
- Coily Joe is dressed like a sumo wrestler, and is possibly a reference to E. Honda.
- Lar-Man is possibly a reference to Ken